Kristin Kirkpatrick: from Today: I Tried the Ketogenic Diet for 30 Days. Here's What Happened
Kristin Kirkpatrick, a dietitian always tries a diet before suggesting to her patients. As inquiries about a high fat, low carb diet became popular, she ditched the carbs and tried the keto diet for 30 days.
The ketogenic diet allows about 70 to 80 percent fat, about 5 percent carbohydrates, and moderate amounts of protein.
Her first week consisted of eggs, cheese, salads, avocados , tree nuts, green leafy vegetables and coconut chips for breakfast and snacks. And for dinner, wild salmon with broccoli, kale or spinach and skipped dessert all together.
Due to the drastic change in carbs, she experienced the "Keto Flu" which can cause symptoms like drowsiness, sugar cravings, dizziness. Just when her husband was begging her to eat a carb to tame her irritability, she finally came out of the first week on top! She was feeling great and fully in ketosis.
Before starting she feared that she wouldn't get the recommended amount of fat with taking in so many carbs. After her first few days she realized this fear was the easiest to manage.
- Keeping protein under control
- Bowel issues while transitioning from a high carb diet to a low-carb one
- Traveling while staying keto
- Used coconut oil, egg yolks and bacon in most recipes
- Upped her leafy green intake
- Stuck to jerky and pecans in the airport
- Refraining from Halloween candy and feeling empowered after saying "no"
- Lack of hunger
- Weight loss despite high calorie consumption
Kristin gives tips on how to start the keto diet.
Read the full Article to Today here.
- Keto and Co