Family Recipes Ketofied: Low Carb Whoopie Pies By Kim at Keto and Co
This recipe is part of our Family Recipes Ketofied series - enjoy!
Growing up, my parents both had two jobs, and my twin brother and I spent most of our summers at sports or day camps--unless we saw whoopie pies on the table. Waking up to whoopies pies meant it was our twice-a-summer, “sick day” declared by my mom where the kids had full control over the activities for the day, and the OK for the whole family to stuff our faces with our favorite treat. We loved summer camp but we loved hanging home and eating whoopie pies more.
My mom has been making her whoopie pies since before I was born. It wasn’t a top-secret family recipe or anything, she clipped it out of a magazine in the mid-eighties. Despite pantry reorganizations, house moves, and new cookbooks, this recipe, with all of its sugar, Crisco, and flour, made it through 3 decades of family memories. I find this impressive as I rarely find a recipe that sticks for more than 2 weeks, let alone 27 years.
Once the pandemic happened, I craved those old times more than ever. I missed my family and couldn’t help but think constantly about what my parents were doing to stay healthy. Food is a way that we show we care about each other which hasn’t always been the healthiest form of affection. I was able to go to my childhood house for the day and surprise my mom with a surprise baking session lead by me! I’m known as the smoothie drinking, health fanatic in my family so when she heard “no sugar? Low carb?! No Crisco?” she was skeptical, to say the least.
After 30 minutes of “that’s all we need to do?”, and “mmmm that smells just right”, she sunk her teeth into the beloved whoopie pie, smiled, and then we air hugged.
Low Carb Whoopie Pies Recipe
What You’ll Need For Whoopie Pies:
-1 bag of Keto and Co Chocolate Keto Cake Mix
-6 Tbsp butter
-½ tsp cider vinegar
What You’ll Need For Filling:
-1 bag of Keto and Co Buttercream Frosting
-1 tbsp lemon juice or ½ tbsp cream of tartar
-1 ½ cup butter
-1 tbsp vanilla extract
-Whoopie Pie Mold (on Amazon here)
- Preheat your oven to 350 and grease your whoopie pie molds
- Beat cake mix, eggs and butter in mixing bowl until smooth
- Let batter sit for 30 seconds, then stir in cider vinegar
- Pour your batter evenly into the whoopie pie molds and bake for 15-20 minutes (or until lightly browned)
- While the whoopie pies are baking, prepare the buttercream frosting according to the instructions on the package or follow this (Step By Step Video on How To Make Keto Buttercream Frosting)
- Once the whoopie pies are cooled, separate the batch in two and spread buttercream frosting on half of them.
- Take the other half of whoopie pies and place them on top of each whoopie pie with buttercream frosting to create a sandwich and enjoy!
- Bold Commerce Collaborator