Missing apples? Then Chayote squash will be your favorite new ingredient for your fall recipes! Use this low carb squash in place of any recipe with apples and you’ll have the “apple” desserts you remember--like this keto chayote “apple” Bread! Recipe + photo by @queer_on_keto
What You’ll Need For The Filling:
-3 chayote, peeled, cored & diced
-1 tsp pumpkin spice
-15 drops of OooFlavors Apple Pie Flavoring
-1 Tbsp butter
½ cup Wondrose Sugar Replacer
-1 tsp lemon juice
-⅛ tsp xanthan gum
-1 bag of Keto and Co Keto Flatbread and Pizza Mix
What You’ll Need For The Topping:
-2 Tbsp butter, melted
-2 Tbsp Wondrose Sugar Replacer
-¼ Tsp cinnamon
- Put chayote in a pot and fill with water until squash is submerged.
- Simmer until chayote is fork tender, approximately 15 minutes. Strain out water.
- Add all ingredients to the pot aside from Ooo Flavors Apple Pie Flavoring and cook together over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Then add the Apple Pie flavoring.
- Set aside.
- Prepare your Keto and Co Keto Flatbread Mix dough according to the instructions on the back of the package
- Roll the prepared flatbread dough out into an oval.
- Cut symmetrical lines parallel from one another down the side of the dough. (You can see a video how-to example HERE)
- Place the filling down the center of the dough. “braid” dough back and forth across the filling.
- Beat 1 egg and 1 Tbsp of water together and brush on the top of the bread.
- Bake at 350F. for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the topping, melt butter and brush on top of baked bread.
- Mix together the cinnamon and Wondrose and sprinkle on top of bread.