If you’re looking for a treat that’s easy, refreshing and citrus-kissed, then you’ve found it! These keto key lime bars are just the right amount of tangy, sweet and creamy in every bite. They will become a staple in your kitchen all summer long! Recipe + photo by @thelowcarbcontessa
What You’ll Need for Key Lime Bars:
-1 package of Keto and Co Shortbread Cookie Mix
-1 egg (for shortbread crust)
-2 sticks butter, softened
-3 oz cream cheese, softened
-Zest of 1 lime
-6 Tbsp key lime juice
-4 egg yolks room temperature (for filling)
-1 cup sugar-free condensed milk (see recipe below)
What You’ll Need for Keto Condensed Milk:
-1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
-1/2 cup powdered allulose
-1/4 cup powdered erythritol
-2 Tbsp butter
-1/4 to 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
Cooking Instructions for Keto Condensed Milk:
- Add the whipping cream to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and continue to simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Next add the butter and sweeteners and whisk until dissolved. Remove the pan from the burner and sprinkle 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum, whisk until thoroughly mixed in.
- Allow the mixture to rest and thicken for 10 minutes. If a thicker consistency is desired whisk in an additional 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum. When finished, set aside.
Cooking Instructions for the Key Lime Bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the Keto and Co Shortbread Cookie Mix, 1 egg and butter and stir until smooth dough forms.
- Place the cookie dough into your prepared baking pan, press, and spread firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Bake the cookie crust for 12 to 15 minutes, or until just golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while preparing the filling.
- To make the key lime filling, in a large bowl add the cream cheese and lime zest, beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Next add the egg yolks and beat until well combined with the cream cheese mixture.
- Continuing to beat, slowly pour in the keto condensed milk, and lime juice. Beat until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Lastly pour the filling onto your shortbread crust and bake for approximately 18 to 20 minutes. You need to watch carefully as you want the filling to be firm, but not browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack for one hour, and then transfer to the refrigerator to cool for at least another hour before cutting.
Makes 16 key lime bars. Each bar has
Net carbs: 2.1g
Fat: 26gProtein: 1g